3.09.2006

puppy love

There is a little golden red dog laying by my feet, even though the computer center is one of the few places in my town where you won´t find dogs ever. He is my family´s dog, Cookie. He decided to start following me around town. Yesterday, he celebrated International Women´s Day with us and was running around the stage as we were decorating. This morning, he ran (and peed) inside the Municipality office until I picked him up and took him out, walked back home, and only returned when he wasn´t in sight. I guess it´s easy to fall in love with me since everyone else kicks him, shouting "¡PASA!", and gives him the cold shoulder. I pet him behind the ears and even let him sit on my lap when he looks relatively clean.

So my presentation to the teachers and directors of the District went well considering that I couldn´t use my beautiful PowerPoint Presentation (AGAIN), this time because the computer was with people who arrived late due to heavier than usual rainfall. My PowerPoint was my strategy to seem really professional and knowledgeable, yet fun. Oh well. At least I wasn´t too nervous since I didn´t have to do it in the auditorium with a microphone.

The surveys we got back have been giving me mixed opinions, and I´m kind of lost as to which direction I should head. Many teachers complained about lack of classroom resources, and in one caserío, this included no bathrooms. They also confirmed that poverty affects their mission, although lack of motivation of students and parents also ranked pretty high on the list. I was happy to note that many primary school teachers were willing to devote 10+ hours to environmental lessons, and asked for teacher trainings. Maybe it was sampling bias, but they seemed very receptive to introducing an environmental education program. Except for the teacher of "religious studies", who didn´t seem too enthused. I was also asked to attend a curriculum development workshop at a primary school of one of the bigger caseríos next week. Another teacher also told me that she lives in Vice and could help me with the Program!

The night before March 8th, International Women´s Day, we organized a march incorporating a competition of "antorchas." I didn´t know what that was until I arrived. It´s like paper lanterns, but they use reeds and either a special type of paper or plastic bottles. Since I was one of the two judges of that competition, the "antorcha" of a women in a bikini using re-used plastic bottles won first prize. I was a little biased towards the creative use of re-used material. Second place was to a house that had a picture of women working in a factory on the side, third place went to a boy who made a sign with a poem thanking and giving due credit to women, and then there were stars, a huge cake, a chicken, a face that said "Women in Action!" and plain plastic bottles. It was one of those nights when I just felt so accepted and integrated into the community, and touched by the smallest gestures. I got to walk in the front line of the march because the Regidora told me to hold the Peruvian flag with her. The kids also went crazy for me and my camera that night. I translated 30 Peruvian names into English for them. It´s been a really good week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home