2.19.2006

My scheme is working

So two entries ago, I hinted that I was planning to do something that would rid myself of ridiculous secretarial duties. Well, the plan is underway and working out beautifully!

The plan was to start working more with women´s organizations -- I learned that there are 32 in the Municipality, 22 being Club de Madres´, which organize Soup Kitchens that offer low-cost meals. International Women´s Day is March 8th, and I knew that my town would celebrate, since we´re so organized. I was right. After nearly begging the the president of the Women´s Committee, a Regidora (politically appointed town leader, powerful), that I wanted to help them with those activities, we had a meeting this past Tuesday. Sadly enough, only 9 people showed up. The meeting started with a few women blaming the Regidora for not sending out the meeting invitations sooner. It makes me reflect on how e-mail has made working in the US so efficient. Another small "cultural shock" I noticed was that after introducing the meeting, the Regidora sat down and had one of the MEN who work at the municipality run the rest of the meeting. Ooh, that would never happen in the US, especially since we were organizing what we should do for International Women´s Day.

After the initial tension, everything turned out very friendly. I left extremely hearted about my role in the community. I met new leaders, suggested ideas that they voted to keep on the agenda, and volunteered to run a self-esteem workshop for adolescent girls. It truly lifted my spirits -- that is the environment I hoped to work in -- one of mutual respect, exchanging ideas and organizing something useful. Plus, I haven´t seen or TALKED to my counterpart since Wednesday. Ah, I feel so liberated!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home