6.19.2006

we´re living in a globalized world, for sure

So over the weekend, Peruvian newspapers found it interesting enough to write about how Bush received a whip (valued at $125US) from the Hungarian president in addition to other odd gifts from around the world such as the "Worst-Case Scenario Handbook" after his second inauguration. It´s comforting to know that world leaders have such an endearing sense of humor.

In Bush´s favor, I´d like to let it be known, if you haven´t yet heard, that he has just established the world´s largest marine protected area! Let´s hope that it won´t just be a paper park, although US MPAs have been very successful, most notably those in Florida. This one´s in Hawaii.

As for my own life, things have been slow since my town just celebrated it´s 86th birthday. Peruvian towns take their Aniversarios seriously, so there were parades galore, including one to the cemetery to pay homage to the former mayors who have since died. One reason I think our education system is so weak is because the kids are never in class. Instead, they´re parading around or preparing some presentation for the million and two holidays they celebrate. I admit, I tried avoiding the celebrations since I´m just paraded out for the time being. However, I did see Los Caribeños one night, which is the most popular band in the area. The Municipality went all out and made it FREE, attracting scum from all parts of Bajo Piura. After coming home, I was getting ready for bed when I heard my host mom shouting "Auxilio! Auxilio!" -- "Help! Help!" I stuck my head out my window and saw a bunch of boys running up our street. From what they tell me, eight "rateros" from the neighboring town were chasing after one unfortunate kid from my town, throwing glass beer bottles and bricks at his face. They stole his jacket and one of his brand new shoes. I think that accounts for the splotches of blood on the sidewalk. Now, going to a free concert without an entourage seems extremely unappealing to me.... Luckily, the kid is OK besides having a streaked face. Every neighbor home early from the party poked his or her head out and convocated in the street in their pajamas discussing whether they should chase after the rateros or not. My host mom was freaking out, worried that the unidentified kid was her son. She was reassured that it wasn´t when he came stumbling down the street happily drunk with his friends...the first time he´s come home that drunk, apparently. Boy, he got a tongue lashing from my host mom. He was probably saved from a real lashing thanks to her earlier fright that he was being chased by 8 boys with bricks. The next morning my host mom walked by my room, tenderly saying "China" with a smile (which she often does), and the next second gave my hungover host bro hell for behaving like a man who does not want to be a good student.

That little anecdote shows two things: 1) that my host mom is a great woman who deserves our respect as a mother who doesn´t let her children fall on their faces, and 2) it´s sure great to not live at home when you´re in college!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home