5.29.2006

stories of triumph

This past week, a group of 6 volunteers did "Tito, el Tigre Tonto," our play about self-esteem, in 5 different schools over 2 days. I was nervous the night before the premier since it was in MY site, and the star of the show got a little "loosey-goosey" on box sangria before our first practice at 10:30PM, 3.5hrs later than planned. Despite that, it turned out really well. Everyone from the kids to the directors to the woman from the Municipality who helped me coordinate everything seemed to love it! I have a small part (thankfully) but get to help Tito rock out at the end to this song "Rebelde", which is a popular teenie bopper song around here from Mexico. We never had time to come up with some hot choreography, so basically Prima (who plays Tito) and I just look like fools lip syching in the beginning, swaying back and forth and then try to grab kids to dance. The Peace Corps doctor came with us both days and even filmed the first showing on his camera...so one day, if you´re lucky, you just might be able to live the magic.

After being out of site for a week because of the plays and a Peace Corps workshop, I was eager to jump back into community life! On my first day back, I went with my host family to a party at a chapel located in the middle of the chacras (farms). Nobody could really explain to me the purpose of the party...it was something like honoring the cross of something. Yup. There was a cross adorned with some banners, looking very pretty. Unfortunately, I didn´t bring my camera. And I am still kicking myself for not bringing it...after eating a second lunch and feeling like my stomach was either about to burst or barf, the hostess asked me to dance with her son. I didn´t realize it was the first dance and it was to Marinera. They handed me a white handkerchief, the band started playing, and my dance partner broke out some fancy footwork, stirring up the loose sand beneath our feet as about 100 people looked on. I just kind of danced like my host family always dances (which was wrong, but acceptable) and waved my arms and the handkerchief around, extremely confused about how to dance. If I had been even the second pair to go, I would have been ok, but I had no precedent! Oh, well...Anyway, after 2 other couples danced, they did this activity called "Subiendo el Palo Balanceado" which is basically, "Climbing the Balance Stick (Balance Beam)". Except the Stick was propped up on one end with a short stubby branch and on the other end by a branch about 10ft high. 3 little boys kept on trying to climb up the Stick in bare feet to reach the top where there were 7 shirts hanging on a pole. That was the prize. I knew one of the kids, Juan...he´s an 8-year old orphan who gets into fights, but every time he sees me he comes right up to me with a smile as wide as his face and the brightest eyes possible, and says my name so sweetly. I was really, really rooting for him to win. One by one, they climbed, swayed and fell, somehow always landing on their feet. As time went on, they noticeably got closer and closer, keeping the audience in suspense. It was a classic boyhood ritual, framed by a swarm of hovering dragonflies and flowering cotton fields. This went on for about 20 minutes. Juan kept on getting really damn close but would look up too soon, or look down at somebody, or get really excited and smile, then fall. I think everyone else watching was also rooting for him. And then, finally...Juan did it! He got high enough to grab the pole and hang on. He grinned radiantly down at everyone, as they in turn looked up at him, cheering. I was so happy, a few tears came to my eyes because he looked so damn happy. And I severely regret not being able to take a picture of his unforgettable moment of triumph. The contest wrapped up with a dance between Juan holding the pole with shirts on it and one of the hostesses. He looked happily overwhelmed. I was just standing on the sidelines bursting with pride.

Tonight, I celebrate the birth of the mayor at another party. It sounds like it´ll be a lot of dancing and passing the vaso (drinking beer). I´m definitely bringing my camera this time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home